What are the decrees of God?1
The decrees of God are, his eternal purpose, according to the counsel of his will, whereby, for his own glory, he hath foreordained whatsoever comes to pass (Psalm 33:11; Isaiah 14:24; Acts 2:23; Ephesians 1:11-12).
How doth God execute his decrees?2
God executeth his decrees in the works of creation and providence (Psalm 148:8; Isaiah 40:26; Daniel 4:35; Acts 4:24-28; Revelation 4:11).
What is the work of creation?3
The work of creation is, God’s making all things of nothing, by the word of his power (Genesis 1:1; Psalm 33:6, 9; Hebrews 11:3), in the space of six days, and all very good (Genesis. 1:31).
What do we learn about God as creator from the revelation to Israel?4
We learn that there is one God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen.
What does this mean?5
This means that the universe is good, that it is the work of a single loving God who creates, sustains, and directs it.
What does this mean about our place in the universe?6
It means that the world belongs to its creator; and that we are called to enjoy it and to care for it in accordance with God’s purposes.
What does this mean about human life?7
It means that all people are worthy of respect and honor, because all are created in the image of God, and all can respond to the love of God.
What do you believe when you say: I believe in God the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth?8
That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who out of nothing created heaven and earth and all that is in them (Genesis 1-2; Exodus 20:11; Job 38-39; Psalm 33:6; Isaiah 44:24; Acts 4:24; 14:15), and who still upholds and governs them by his eternal counsel and providence (Psalm 104:27-30; Matthew 6:30; 10:29; Ephesians 1:11), is, for the sake of Christ his Son, my God and my Father (John 1:12-13; Romans 8:15-16; Galatians 4:4-7; Ephesians 1:5). In him I trust so completely as to have no doubt that he will provide me with all things necessary for body and soul (Psalm 55:22; Matthew 6:25-26; Luke 12:22-31), and will also turn to my good whatever adversity he sends me in this life of sorrow (Romans 8:28). He is able to do so as almighty God (Genesis 18:14; Romans 8:31-39), and willing also as a faithful Father (Matthew 6:32-33; 7:9-11).
What are Catechisms? (43 articles)
- What are Catechisms? (1 of 43)
- What do Catechisms Teach? (2 of 43)
- What are the Ten Commandments? (3 of 43)
- Why Are The Ten Commandments Numbered Differently? (4 of 43)
- What is the First Commandment? (5 of 43)
- What is the Second Commandment? (6 of 43)
- What is the Third Commandment? (7 of 43)
- What is the Fourth Commandment? (8 of 43)
- What is the Fifth Commandment? (9 of 43)
- What is the Sixth Commandment? (10 of 43)
- What is the Seventh Commandment? (11 of 43)
- What is the Eighth Commandment? (12 of 43)
- What is the Ninth Commandment? (13 of 43)
- What is the Tenth Commandment? (14 of 43)
- Are People Able to Keep the Ten Commandments? (15 of 43)
- How are Catechisms Organized? (16 of 43)
- Who is God? (17 of 43)
- What is the Trinity? (18 of 43)
- Who is Jesus Christ? (19 of 43)
- Who is the Holy Spirit (Holy Ghost)? (20 of 43)
- What is Creation? (21 of 43)
- What are Angels? (22 of 43)
- Who is Man? (23 of 43)
- What is Sin? (24 of 43)
- What are the Effects of Sin? (25 of 43)
- What is the Bible? (26 of 43)
- What Covenants did God make with People? (27 of 43)
- What is Faith? (28 of 43)
- What is Repentance? (29 of 43)
- What is Grace? (30 of 43)
- What is Redemption? (31 of 43)
- What is Righteousness? (32 of 43)
- What are Justification, Adoption and Sanctification? (33 of 43)
- Why did Jesus Suffer and Die? (34 of 43)
- What was Jesus’ Resurrection? (35 of 43)
- What is the Forgiveness of Sin? (36 of 43)
- What is the Church? (37 of 43)
- What is the Second Coming? (38 of 43)
- What is the Resurrection of Believers? (39 of 43)
- What is the Judgement of non-Christians? (40 of 43)
- What is Everlasting Life? (41 of 43)
- What is Prayer? (42 of 43)
- What is the Lord’s Prayer? Introduction (43 of 43)
- Westminster Shorter Catechism (1647), Question 7.
- Westminster Shorter Catechism (1647), Question 8.
- Westminster Shorter Catechism (1647), Question 9.
- Episcopal Catechism (1789), Question 6.
- Episcopal Catechism (1789), Question 7.
- Episcopal Catechism (1789), Question 8.
- Episcopal Catechism (1789), Question 9.
- Heidelberg Catechism (1563), Question 26.