I want to address several related issues in this article:
- Are Authentic Manuscripts Legally Available for Sale?
- Are Biblical Manuscripts Sold Illegally?
- What Are Unprovenanced Biblical Manuscripts?
- Do Fake or Forged Biblical Manuscripts Exist?
Are Authentic Manuscripts Legally Available for Sale?
I did a quick search on Google and found several web sites that sell old Biblical manuscripts and...
There's a lot of conflicting information on this subject, so please forgive me if I get some details wrong.
This whole story is convoluted, so a "cast of characters" (and organizations) may help, and I'll be using some below.
- Egypt Exploration Society (ESS) - The organization that owns and curates the Oxyrhynchus Papyri, found in Oxyrhynchus, Egypt, in the late 1800's to early 1900's. Based in...
Surprisingly, archaeologists don't often find manuscripts, but there are some notable exceptions.
A famous manuscript find was the Codex Sinaiticus (א, Gregory-Aland 01) found by Constantin von Tischendorf, at Saint Catherine's Monastery, at the foot of Mount Sinai in Egypt, between 1844-1859. This book was written about A.D. 325-350. It originally contained the entire Bible, along with the Apocrypha and...